Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Judy Blume

For the past few months I've been re-living my childhood by re-reading Judy Blume's books, who is one of my all time favourite writers. Since my Judy Blume books are all back in Malaysia (most worn out over the years), I've taken to bidding for old copies over ebay (my addiction to ebay will be the subject of a separate blog!). Judy's stories have stayed with me my entire life, from her picture books (Freckle Juice etc), books for children (Are You There God? It's Me Margaret?, the Fudge books etc) and to her more adult books (Forever, Tiger Eyes - major tear-jerker - Wifey - hot stuff!). Her writing is simple yet effective, timeless and, despite being set in America, I found that I could relate to the stories in my own way and I never ever tire of reading them over and over again. If I ever have kids, her books will be on the reading list that's for sure. A few days ago I decided to check out her website and on the spur of the moment, I sent her a personal e-mail expressing how much I loved her books and she wrote back! Her e-mail goes:

"Hi Lyn,

Thanks so much for your warm note. I'm touched by how well you remember my books. Wish there were time for a longer, more thoughtful response, but I'm overwhelmed right now and trying (desperately!) to find the quiet time necessary to write. Hope you'll understand. Readers like you have made my career, and I can never thank you enough. Come back and visit my website again. Hope to get up some new info soon!

Love,
Judy"

The wonders of the internet! I was really touched, especially by how humble she seems. To those of you, especially girls, who have never read Judy's books before, it's not too late. Judy is my J K Rowling. Thanks again Judy!

2 Comments:

At 1:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow lyn, i lurv her books too! and all thanks to u, coz i'm always borrowing them from u! kekeke... please excuse ur poor (and cheap) friend. but really, thanks for introducing her to me. her books made up a great big part of my lower sec years (until i moved on to sidney sheldon, that is).

 
At 9:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah man! If I recall I think we thought books like "Are You There God..." were quite 'dirty' haha. I miss our youthful innocence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home